How did this happen? Yesterday there was a vote in the House of Representatives that defeated a bill that would prohibit aborting baby girls due to gender selection. Nobody chooses to abort a baby boy simply because he is a boy. But we know girls are aborted simply because they are girls. It is reasonable to expect that it happens in the United States as well as in other countries
A bill that would ban sex-selective abortions failed to muster enough support to pass the House Thursday following a contentious debate.
The final vote was 246-168. Though a majority voted in favor of the bill, this particular proposal required a two-thirds majority to pass — supporters of the bill fell 30 votes short.
The proposal would have made it a federal crime to carry out an abortion based on the gender of the fetus. The measure takes aim at the aborting of female fetuses, a practice more common to countries such India and China, where there is a strong preference for sons, but which is also thought to take place in the U.S.
Mothers, who were little girls themselves, choose to terminate the life of their girl children.
Where is the NOW group? Silence. The right to abortion is greater than the right for little girls to be born. Sheila Jackson Lee threw up the back street clothes hanger threat if this bill was passed. All the bill set out to do was prohibit aborting girls simply because they were girls. Nobody picks out healthy boys to abort, so while it didn’t say girls, that is what it meant.
What harm would it have done to pass this bill? What harm has it done to not pass it?
Where are the churches? Silence. Of course they will tell you that all abortion is wrong and they speak out against all abortion. But this is not the same thing as all abortions being wrong. This is aborting a girl’s life based simply upon the fact that she is female.
Where are the churches? Well, I can tell you where they are.
- They are busy preaching that when God created the world, he chose men over women and made all women to be in submission to all men for all time.
- They are busy signing pledges that will keep women from serving as deacons in the church. (Baptist Faith and Message 2000 – which doesn’t even say ‘deacons.’)
- They are busy coming up with things should be open to women to do in church – meaning other things are closed to women. (Wayne Grudem’s list)
- They are busy telling little boys to be ‘men.’
- They are busy telling little girls to be ‘submissive.’
- They are busy promoting the joys of submission to married women.
- They are busy teaching of the evils of being a woman and calling it feminism.
- They are “too busy” to stand up for women in the pulpit.
- They are too scared to stand up for women in publications, and before their denomination. (Hats off to Marv Knox of the Baptist Standard and Bob Allen of the Associated Baptist Press who regularly publish articles promoting women’s equality.)
What will they tell their congregations on Sunday? Nothing. What should they tell them?
They should tell their congregations that a girl’s life is just as important as a boy’s life, and that while we teach that all abortions are wrong, it is particularly wrong to single out and abort girls. Aborting girls does not fall under the general exceptions of rape, incest, or deformed children. It is gender selection.
But then, how can they say that? Churches perform gender selection every day.
Will you speak up for girls – those still in the womb, and those who go to church?Join us as we speak up for women.