Male Covering and Male Headship are awful words. I hesitate to even use them in a blog because they trigger some kind of kinky readers.
But these are the words that Baptists and Non-denominational, and other Evangelical denominations have chosen to use to prove that men have dominance over women.
Oh, they don’t say these words. You won’t hear them used in a sermon. They say “leadership” because even they know that male covering and male headship have a sexual connotation.
So what difference does it make if that is what they believe but do not preach in a sermon?
Let me count the ways:
- It determines how they will preach because they will get their message across in some form.
- It determines how the youth leader teaches the young men and young women.
- It determines the literature they will use in teaching.
- It determines how they will set up their church structure – who will be the deacons or the leaders
- It affects how they will do marital counseling which is officially encouraged by the State of Texas.
- It determines how they will counsel a woman who is having marital troubles.
- It determines how they will counsel a young girl who is considering the ministry.
Ok, I can live with that, you might say. Many do and never question it.
Whenever one person has headship or covering over another, it means that they see themselves as having saving power over the other, and they are to be held accountable before God for their wives and daughters.
They have headship over their sons until the sons grow up and leave home. The wives never get to grow up and leave home. The daughters will be handed over to some other male headship or male covering guy who will “lead” her.
Male headship and male covering creates among men and women a division, an acknowledgement that males are superior to females. It leads to abuse in the home and in the spiritual life.
Can you live with that?
If you can’t live with that, join us at Seneca Falls 2 Evangelical Christian Women’s Rights Convention in Orlando, Florida, on July 24, 2010. www.senecafalls2.com