The Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) refuses to associate with many of the world’s Christian denominations. Southern Baptists refused to join the World Council of Churches* because SBC knows they are right, and they don’t see eye to eye with everything these other religions believe, and Jesus Christ is not enough of a middle ground to base an agreement upon.
Well, that is not exactly how Southern Baptists would say it, but that is what it is.
*The World Council of Churches is a fellowship of churches which confess the Lord Jesus Christ as God and Savior according to the scriptures, and therefore seek to fulfill together their common calling to the glory of the one God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. (From their website.)
I am not promoting the World Council of Churches and am not suggesting that SBC should affiliate with them. But look who Southern Baptists have found the least common denominator with:
- The Catholic Church – While women could publicly pray and prophesy in church (1 Cor. 11:1–16), they could not teach or have authority over a man (1 Tim. 2:11–14), since these were two essential functions of the clergy. Nor could women publicly question or challenge the teaching of the clergy (1 Cor. 14:34–38). (catholic.com)
- Churches of Christ – Elders/bishops/pastors/shepherds, deacons’ qualifications are “husband of one wife, reverent, able to teach, sober, father of believing children. (church-of-christ.org)
- Judaism – In traditional Judaism, women are for the most part seen as separate but equal. Women’s obligations and responsibilities are different from men’s, but no less important. Men and women do not sit together in synagogue. (jewfaq.org/women)
- Mormons –The priesthood, the authority of God to perform ordinances and act in His name, is conferred only on worthy male members of the Church. (mormons.org)
- Jehovah Witnesses – Each congregation is served by a group of locally-recommended, branch-appointed male elders and ministerial servants.” (wiki)
- Islam – Conservative Islamists argue that differences between men and women are due to different status and responsibilities assigned in the Koran. (wiki) (The only religion that requires complete head to toe body covering for women-S.T.)
Southern Baptists couldn’t find reason enough to align with other mainstream Christ-centered Christian religions, but they have found a common denominator with other religious groups, half of which have a distorted picture of Christ.
In June 2004, Southern Baptists pulled out of their own alliance called the Baptist World Alliance.
What is the Least Common Denominator? When you take out everything else, what is left in the pot?
Women – They never affiliated with the World Council of Churches and the reason they pulled out of the Baptist World Alliance is because women could be pastors of churches in foreign lands.
No way were they going to allow that here in the pure Baptist churches in the United States.